How Did Hippocrates Heal His Patients in Ancient Times?
His dietary recommendations were calculated according to present biochemical means, which reveals that our diet should consist of a ratio of 80% alkaline-forming to 20% acid-forming Foods. Modern naturopathic healing methods are also based on this principle of 80/20, so how does it work?
All foods leave an ash residue after metabolism, which is either alkaline or acidic, depending on the mineral composition of the food and the way in which an individual digests them. Individual stress patterns, the ability to process life's ups and downs and emotional stability all influence the action of the digestive juices. A happy person in a satisfying job, who takes the time to chew their food well in a peaceful environment, will digest their food and experiences more easily than a stressed, overworked person who has to eat on the run. However a busy, well-organized person with strong digestive juices and a calm disposition may be able to digest better than the person who does everything right according to the health book but worries and frets over little things.
Stress and negative emotions produce acidic residues, while relaxation, soothing light massage, moderate non-confronting exercise, meditation, unconditional love, prayer - (alignment with the God/Goddess/or higher energies), and even moonlight are all alkalizing.
EXCESS ACID WASTE|
is the cause of MANY AILMENTS
If one has a busy life there are ways to ensure that digestion happens properly:
1. Create peaceful meal times: don't read or watch television and eat alone if necessary.
2. Give thanks for the gift of food: blessing our food makes it more alkaline.
3. Chew and insalivate your food well. This makes it more alkaline.
4. Focus on good food combinations and add digestive herbs if needed.
5. Digestive enzymes can be taken short term if your body is low on enzymes.
6. Increase the raw content of meals, providing your body with unprocessed material to build its own
7. Maintain the 80/20 Rule. Consume 80% alkaline-forming and 20% acid-forming foods and drinks
each day to build a healthy body.
If your diet is largely composed of meats, fish, cheeses, breads, cakes, white sugar, confectioneries, pasta, white flour foods, greasy takeaways, chocolate, coffee, tea, wine, beer and cigarettes, (all acid forming), you may suffer from acidic complaints.
Initial symptoms of over-acidity include:
· Acne · Agitation · Bloating · Chemical sensitivities to odors and gas heat
· Cold hands and feet · Constipation · Diarrhea
· Dizziness · Excess head mucous (stuffiness) · Food allergies · Difficulty rising in the morning
· Heartburn · Hot urine · Hyperactivity · Indigestion · Irregular heartbeat
· Joint pains that travel · Lack of sex drive · Low energy · Metallic taste
· Mild headaches · Muscular pain · Panic attacks · P.M.T. · Rapid heartbeat
· Rapid panting breath · White-coated tongue
Intermediate symptoms of over-acidity include:
· Asthma · Bacterial and fungal infections · Bronchitis · Cold sores · Colitis · Cystitis
· Depression · Ear aches · Gastritis · Loss of memory and concentration · Hay fever
· Impotence · Insomnia · Migraine headaches · Psoriasis · Sinusitis · Urethritis
· Viral infections (colds, flu, etc)
Advanced symptoms of over-acidity indude:
· Cancer (all forms) · Crohn's Disease · Erythematosus · Hodgkin's Disease · Leukaemia
· Multiple Sclerosis · Schizophrenia · Systemic Lupus · Rheumatoid Arthritis
If your body is in an acidic state you should include more ALKALINE FORMING FOODS (most fruits and vegetables) and alkaline-forming mental / emotional states as mentioned before. The best way to judge how acidic you are is to observe your own body symptoms. Saliva and urine tests can be done but these may only show the amount of acidity being released. The real test is to honestly ask yourself 'how do I feel?' If your body is storing acid wastes and giving any of the mentioned symptoms, you need to heal yourself with nature's alkaline packages.
to Excess Acidity is
ALKALINE FORMING FOODS
All ripe fruits, except cranberries, blueberries, plums and prunes are alkalizing to different degrees. Alkalinity depends on mineral content and natural sugar content - ripe fruit are more alkaline. All vegetables, except potatoes without skins, are alkalizing to different degrees.
You will heal yourself in the most basic sense when you reach out for alkalizing foods, and as they work their way into your body tissues, neutralizing and releasing stored acid wastes, you will begin to feel lighter, cleaner and more energetic.
A common question is 'Can 1 eat too much alkaline-forming food?' According to Dr Baroody (the author of Alkalize or Die), to eat too much alkaline-forming food is a rare occurrence and could only be caused by the ingestion of a hyper-alkalizing substance such as lye or excess bicarbonate of soda. If one maintains the 80/20 rule, there is no danger of becoming too alkaline.
However, a cleansing or healing crisis may occur with the intake of more alkaline-forming foods than you are normally accustomed to. As the acid wastes are released out of all channels of elimination, you may experience the symptoms of a cold, sinusitis or other initial symptoms of acidity. Unfortunately, as viruses thrive in acid wastes, this is also the time when you may fall prey to opportunistic viruses. The best way to deal with an actual viral or bacterial infection is to continue to alkalize and employ all natural means at your disposal. When the symptoms of a cold or flu are dealt with in an alkalizing way you are actually creating better health. Use natural methods: herbal teas, homoeopathic remedies, aromatherapy, massage, deep breathing and rest are all alkalizing. This, combined with the intake of alkalizing drinks and foods, will alleviate symptoms and release the acidic burden from the body.
A good way to learn the acid / alkaline content of foods is to have a food chart in an accessible location in your kitchen This chart has been created in Aotearoa to give New Zealanders easy to follow information on the alkaline and acid value of our most common foods. Dr Baroody describes it as "The finest condensed understanding of the alkaline/acid principle available".
The A3 chart can be obtained either with or without lamination from Dhyana Tribe at PO Box 56, Whangamata, New Zealand.
ph 0064 7 865 7669
fax 0064 7 865 7408.
[Information obtained from Alkalize
or Die, by Dr T. Baroody, which can be ordered below, or from your local book store or direct from the author's company - Eclectic Press, 205 Pigeon Street, Waynesville, N.C. 28786, U.S.A.]
The above information is offered not as a prescription or in place of proper
medical care, but as a report on research findings which may be of interest.
In cases of sickness, the attention and care of a nutritionally aware health
professional are essential.
or Die by Dr T. Baroody
by Sang Y Whang
Alkaline by Herman Achiara
The Calcium Factor - The Scientific
Secret of Health & Youth by Robert R Barefoot
On this Site:
Table of Alkaline/Acid Effects of Some Common Foods
Table of Acid/Alkaline Values of Some Common Liquids
Two Great New Zealand Sites